Piano acoustics

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 09:05:27 -0600

Hi Ric,

I do agree that an ETD will give different results in such measurements.
One might instead of using a quartz crystal type sound producing device use
a tone bar with a striker. The problem with measurements in a piano is the
method by which the string is excited. It is very difficult to strike the
key in an identical manner 5 times in a row. I do wish someone with access
to one of the diskclavier style actions would try to do some measurements.
There was one study done a while ago and I did post the url to the list.

The accuracy of the best EDT's is not at question. The method of using them
for measurements *is*.

At 12:38 AM 2/7/02 -0600, you wrote:
>I have no doubt you are measuring differences of inharmonicity.

<snip>