make it heavier

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 19:51:52 +0100

jolly roger wrote:

> Hi Ric,
>                Lets step back a tad.   The action was OK before
> installation of hammers shanks and bushings.  Generally the friction
> should have gone up wards a little.  So there has been 3 significant
> changes.  1. Hammer mass.  2. Knuckle size.  3. Friction.

Aggreed.

> As a fast rule of thumb check.  If the blow distance, dip and after
> touch is satisfactory.   The tone is acceptable. (strike weight issues
> vs tone is another discussion)   Then hammer and shank mass change is
> more than likely been responsible for the change.

I aggree here too... I think thats what my points were based on
actually. I dont see the Strike Weight vs tone as another issue really.
Its one of those determinants. If the tone is too BIG... then we gotta
figure theres enough hammer mass, and if its too small, then perhaps its
likely to benifit from some extra.... or what ?

> Removal of some key leads is probably the best and fastest way to go.
> Inertia goes down, and both down weight and up weight will go up,
> resulting in  better repitition and feel.

I beg to differ with my respected colleague here. I find adding weights
to hammers and removal of appropriate weight amounts from keys to be
really about the same amount of work. Actually, if I am being picky
about getting a really nice even BW, its perhaps easier with adding
weight to hammers. Perhaps its one of those what works for you might not
work for others things... I dont know.

> If the action was not completely analysed before hanging the hammers,
> (so we can compare the two sets of results.)  It is just speculation
> to try and figure what is going on.

> Gotta dissagree again me thinks Takes about an hour for me to whip off
> a set of 15 sample FW's, SW's, KR's,  WRW's, and U&DW's.  Plug that
> information into an excell sheet set to figure out the rest of it and
> you can get a real quick and valuable view of whats going on.  Then
> you KNOW for sure whats the quickest and best way to go. Another nice
> thing about manipulating hammer weight is the opportunity to create a
> dead even SW curve... with all the benifits that yeilds. Again... just
> my opinion. I'm not sure what you mean by comparing two sets of
> results. You can simply configure the action to suit your needs... or
> what ?

> Now it would be helpful if Wim would reinstall some of the old hammers
> and shanks, and give the comparitive figures.

That would be interesting for sure :)

> I have stirred the pot enough.

Ah, come on now Rog.... it needs a few more peppers if you ask me..hehe

> Regards Roger

I used to routinely just pull out or bore out lead from the keys for
exactly this kind of problem. Often enough there was too much anyways...
but still.... Now I always check to see if these things look like they
add up reasonably well enough. Quickly done, gives great predictable and
controllable results. Lasts a long time... grin.

Hope you can make it over here this fall Roger. It would be great to
have you.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.