loose/tight flanges

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 17:45:58 -0500

Wim -
I often use my Apsco upright action cradle (removing # 1 & # 88 wippins),
clamping the top action and rotating it, first so that the hammers swing
clear without contacting reps.  You can immediately pick out suspect (tight
or loose) pinning.  By taking off and measuring (by feel, gauge, or swings)
a few, you know how to interpret the way the rest appear swinging on the
frame.  This method works well unless the shank traveling is poor, in which
case, in this unnatural position (X rated?) the hammers may rub, in which
case, you have to swing one while restraining its neighbor.  (sounds almost
like Square Dancing with the police).    To do the wippins, rotate the
action so that the wippin flanges are on top.  (Don't let the hammershanks
drop hard as you rotate...use something to restrain them so there is no
damage to the centers).  You can adjust the position of the balance point
of the wippin suspension so that you can set the rate of movement of your
samples (you've set samples).  Those that move in an otherly manner are
your repinning wictims.    Also good to check side to side movement.  Hope
some of this helps.

David Skolnik