Krakauer console?

LarryinAtlanta@AOL.COM LarryinAtlanta@AOL.COM
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 20:20:23 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2002 10:21:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu writes:

> At 19:17 02/06/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >I have worked on one of these. Sound-wise and in all other respects its
> >sounded equally as bad as Wurlitzer, H. Cable, Lester, etc... bad.  The
> >customer told me that the Krakauer brand was owned by Steinway and Sons.
> >
> >Jim Rickson
>

> I think the only thing of Krakauer that Steinway owned was a view of it's
> factory across the East River

Of course, you all know that Steinway didn't own them, and their employees
didn't have anything to do with building any of them, and that the only
difference between a used car salesman and some piano salesmen is that the
used car salesman *knows* when he's lying.......  ;-)   But to label all the
American built Krakauers as bad would be a mistake, since they did build some
extremely well made pianos during their years in business.

If you've seen one of the Krakauer consoles built in Berlin Ohio during the
60s - 80s, you should be aware that these were top notch for a console. They
were actually better built than the consoles Steinway built. I don't know if
you can see the Steinway factory from Berlin Ohio, but you could apparently
talk to Jasper Indiana from there, because Kimball ended up owning the
company, and that's when things changed. They ran it in Ohio for a couple of
years and then closed it, letting the name sit. When they got out of the
piano business, they sold the Conn and Krakauer names to a Chinese company
they had initially intended to partner with in China, as well as all their
factory equipment.  The name of the company is Artfield Pianos, not Artcraft,
as someone thought.

The Krakauers being built in China are entry level, thats for certain. But
for an entry level Chinese built piano, they are in the "above average"
category. They hold tune very good, the actions work good, some problems with
bass strings not wound properly so they buzz in a few,  and sound and play
about as good as 90% of the consoles that were built in the US after WWII -
better than some of them in fact. But their biggest plus is their cabinetry.
Since they own all of Kimball's old furniture designs and machinery, they
look just like the top of the line Kimball consoles (no matter what the
opinion of a Kimball, you must admit they were pretty).  For a piano where
95% of everyone who buys them are buying the furniture on it more than they
are the piano in it, the Chinese Krakauer is not a bad piano. It's
consistently well made for an entry level piano, very attractive so that Mom
is happy, not a lot of action problems, and it's relatively cheap.

Just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents worth. It's important to remember who
buys consoles. It isn't too often that someone asks you to help them select a
"high grade performance level hand crafted work of art" and then says "and I
only have 3 thousand to spend, and it must match my queen anne living room
suite."  You have to let them find the furniture they want, and then hope the
insides are made good enough to hold up. From my experience with them I think
the Krakauers will hold up just fine for the segment of the market that buys
that kind of piano.

Larry Fletcher
Pianos Inc, Atlanta
Dealer/technician