Wierd Pitch Raise Results

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 23:50:14 -0500

Half the piano I tune require a significant pitch raise. I do a lot of pitch raises. I use a SAT III. Almost all my pitch raises come out really close to target.

BUT. Some don't. Today I pitch raised three pianos. An Aeolian spinet (what junk!) was raised 30 cents - came out real close to target. A German F. Weber old upright - raised 80 cents and came out right on target. Yesterday I did 60-cent pitch raises on six P22s (and tuned them - new tuning output record for me! - also a new one-day income record for me! :-) !!) - all came out right where I wanted them.

I also pitch raised a 1973 Kimball console today. The piano was all over the place tuning-wise, but was only about 5 to 10 cents flat on average. I made the small pitch offset correction as usual with the SAT, and after the pitch raise pass, the ugly son-&%-$-$#%&@ was a good 15 to 20 cents sharp. WHY? I went through it again without any pitch correction (the piano should have ended up perhaps 5 cents sharp) and every thing was like at least 10 cents sharp!

Is this like some loosey goosey piano or what? Was I having an acid flashback? I takes a lot to get me riled up while working on a piano, but this one pushed me close to the limit.

Ever see anything like this, or is it more likely that I was just tired and screwing up big time?

Thanks.

Terry Farrell