make it heavier

Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:48:00 +0100

jolly roger wrote:

> >I've never heard of adding weights to the hammers!  The more of the
> >lousy lead you can get rid of the better, for the reasons Roger
> gives.
> >
> >JD
> >
> Greetings John,
>                           Adding weight to the hammer or shank, will
> increase the strike weight, and will have a great effect on tone
> quality.  As general statement, strike weight goes up, so will the
> power.
>
> Now Ric, some one asking how to correct touch weight, after changing a
> set of hammers, is hardly going to have all the tools to do a complete
> touch weight analysis.   So it is reasonable to assume, all that is
> availiable to the tech is a generic set of weights.  Thats why I
> advised removal of key lead.   Most of the old Steinway's had way too
> many.

Ah !! there we have it ! And based on those assumptions I would aggree
with you for sure. My take was simply directed towards encouraging those
who are in that exact situation to upgrade to this relatively new way of
going about things. You know that Stanwood kit costs around 150 dollars
or so ? People are putting out a grand or more for a tuning device...
so  the kit is a bargain in comparison. And like I said. You can wow'em
and have a good time at it and do it all fast and effective.

I aggree about the Steinways tho. But then Wim is at a University....
some of them professors and piano majors can be er.... dangerous.  So
the better equipped he or any of us in that kind of spot is to knock
there shorts off, the happier everyone is going to be.

> With the old model O's, I would also advise, removing the wippens,
> cleaning the repition spring slots, and springs. It never ceases to
> amaze me how much it narrows the DW-UW spread, as well as evening out
> the friction numbers.

Good advice again !

> Regards Roger

Best regards Rog.