Weber action too big

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:06:11 -0800

Hi! Mary,  I recall a tech demonstrating a procedure for removing =
knuckles at a tech session some years ago.=20

He sliced through the buckskin and felt with a razor blade, peeled the =
felt and buckskin off and with a sharp small side cutting pliers cut the =
remaining wood at two or three places and split it out of the slot.  I =
haven't actually done this but it looked easy.  Hope that works for you. =
 Practice on some old knuckles.

Best

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: MBailey911@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 8:30 AM
  Subject: Re: Weber action too big

  In a message dated 2/8/2002 10:09:21 AM Central Standard Time, =
Wimblees@aol.com writes:=20

    If I recall, there was some talk earlier about Young Chang action =
brackets "growing."=20

  Funny that this should come up in such a timely fashion.  Earlier this =
week, I had an 11 year old Young Chang G185 that was blocking terribly =
(new customer, just moved to town, called me to tune and said a few =
notes were acting funny - I'd say! - the piano was not even remotely =
playable).=20

  I noticed that the hammers were resting on the rail, but at the =
specified distance from the strings, which got me scratching my head.  I =
figured that if I brought the hammer line up off the rail far enough, =
that everything else was going to be wildly out of place.  =20

  Totally perplexed, I called tech support at Young Chang, and they told =
me about the growing action brackets.  Thankfully, I hadn't wasted too =
much time on a no-win situation.  They're sending out the replacement =
brackets, instructions, and the reimbursement form.=20

  Another problem with this action is that the knuckles were creaking =
and groaning  (kinda like my knees after a long week).  I used some =
teflon on them and that seemed to quiet it down, but I also asked tech =
support about that, and they're sending replacement knuckles as well, =
since I guess that's another known problem area.  I've never replaced a =
set of knuckles before, though, and haven't yet found any articles =
talking about the procedure - any advice out there?=20

  Thanks,=20
  Mary Bailey=20