Typewriter

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:10:15 -0500 (EST)

Although I'm somewhat young (under 40) and am a computer programmer by
profession, I'm very pro-typewriter. I grew up in a typewriter-friendly
household. To this day, my father is much more comfortable on a manual
typewriter than anything else. (He uses manual typewriting technique on a
computer -- really punches the keys!) I have a nice old 1940's Royal that
I got a thrift shop. It's got those glass panels on the sides. I use it
occassionally.

The thing about getting a computer is... If you don't want to be futzing
around with it all the time, then your time might be better spent just
typing your documents with a typewriter. I don't think computers always
save time, especially after you include all the messing around you have to
do, including downloading virus definitions, setting up a printer, etc.
But computers can be fun if you like that sort of thing.

The best thing about typewriters is the real "bell" sound when you near
the end of the line!

Charles

P.S. Wait a minute... The original poster already HAS a computer or else
he wouldn't have emailed his question. I guess I forgot what we're talking
about. Maybe I'm not so young afterall...