becket hole

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 19:48:01 -0500

Friends,

It looked like I was going to finish early today (yea!! it's Friday!!),
but alas, it was not to be.   :-(   The rotten-sounding little 1966 P A
Starck spinet decided to break two treble strings.  I didn't trust
removing the action because all the little fiber nut grommets looked
like they were waiting for an excuse to fall apart, too, so I knotted
the one string and replaced the other with the action in the piano.

Well, more to the point.  The tuning pins were loose so I decided to
move up to the next larger size (on the strings I was
repairing/replacing).  I was surprised to find that on all three of them
the tuning pin becket holes were not drilled all the way through!  I was
in no mood to do much sleuthing, but I suspect that all the treble
tuning pins were the same way.

So, either chalk this one up to my poor powers of observation, or else
this is a pretty rare way to go.  Which is it?

Regards,
Clyde