stripped pin

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 23:13:58 -0500

Assistant Directors: Gary Neie, RPT - Claude Harding, RPT - Joel Jones,
RPT - Laura Olsen, RPT
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Denele Campbell
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 5:32 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: stripped pin

I visited a new client yesterday with a 10-15 yr old full-size upright, well
known brand. She had requested a tuning, and all was in excellent order
until I arrived at one particular tuning pin in the upper bass. All four
shoulders of the pin had been shaved off -- no doubt the previous tooner had
struggled. I can only assume there was factory damage compounded by an
unwitting, untrained tooner.

There was absolutely nothing left to grip in the hammer tip, and various
efforts with various sized tuning tips did nothing to move the pin.

I'm wondering how I get this pin out.

Denele Campbell, RPT
NW Arkansas