Junk Pianos

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 09 Feb 2002 17:44:16 -0500

Terry,

Do you really want reasons or did you just need to let off some steam?  :-)

One reason may be that they don't want to spend money on a decent piano until they are sure the kid will stick with it.  It never seems to occur to them that a junk piano will almost assure that the kid will lose interest in a hurry.  If the piano isn't a priority for the parents, why should it be for the kids?

Another reason, if the piano is an old upright, is the sheer labor needed to move the thing.  Often enough I've heard a new client say as I walk toward the piano, "We just got this piano, and we're never moving it again.  The thing weighs a ton!"  And I open it and... well, you know.

And, I guess some people just don't know a piano has a lifespan.  I had one person look at me and innocently ask, "You mean pianos wear out?"

I gave thought to Ron Nossaman's comment.  So sad, but likely true in some instances.

It might have been better if you had refused to tune the Aeolian you refer to, or at least inform them that it is only to make it sound a little better until they can replace it, because it is not worth spending any more money on it.

I still differentiate in my mind between those of the well-to-do whose priorities are misplaced and those who really can't afford anything better.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT