Junk Pianos

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 18:26:18 -0800

To all,
We need to take the incentive and make a consorted effort to literally
"junk" the junk. I do it on a regular basis. Yes, it costs me a little to
haul the "junk" away in my piano trailer and then have one of my
helpers/associates tear it apart, but there are a lot of salvageable parts
to be had that can be used on more worthy piano repairs. If you have ever
gone down to the BIG Screw company and tried to by #20 x 3" screws, you'll
very quickly see the value of scraping these beasts. I salvage the pedals,
the hinges, special hardware, screws, backposts, large panels, (My
refinisher loves me for the panels), and anything that looks like you can
use it on something else. The Actions can be "corded" in a pile for future
teardown, etc. All this can be a tremendous learning experience as to how
pianos are made. That insight, in itself, would lead to fewer "basic"
questions on this forum and elsewhere. <G>By the way, the keys make great
kindling for my wood stove! Of course, I salvage the Ivory and capstans.
Also the lead removed from the keys melt down into great bullets for my
black powder "ear-gasplitten loudenboomers"!
Something to think about, you-all. [G]
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)