Weird Pitch Raise Results

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 20:12:19 -0700

I also pitch raised a 1973 Kimball console today. The piano was all over the
place tuning-wise, but was only about 5 to 10 cents flat on average. I made
the small pitch offset correction as usual with the SAT, and after the pitch
raise pass, the ugly son-&%-$-$#%&@ was a good 15 to 20 cents sharp. WHY? I
went through it again without any pitch correction (the piano should have
ended up perhaps 5 cents sharp) and every thing was like at least 10 cents
sharp!

    Terry, at ten cents flat, the offset would have been 2.5 cents sharp.
Sounds to me like something structural was shifting, which would also
account for the "all over the place" comment.  As far as quality goes on
Kimball pianos, you don't see them standing around anymore, do you?  Maybe
there's a reason for that. As my mentor Gene Rudder once said,,,, "They went
to a lot of trouble to make a bad piano."  And this from a generally
positive person........

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com