Piano Rims & Rebuilding

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 23:31:50 -0500

I have heard many references to not rebuilding Yamahas because of the "select hardwood" rims. I assume that means that if the rim is not hard maple it is junk or there-abouts. What does this say about the Bosendorfers and Bechsteins of the world. Their rims don't even quite make the "select hardwood" grade, but I see these rebuilt often. I do realize the latter two sell for a bit more $ than most Yamahas, but that is often not the criteria given for poo-pooing a Yamaha rebuild.

Mr. Overs in Australia seems to have had some success with building a piano on a "select hardwood" rim (I know he uses the Samick plate - I am assuming he also uses the Samick case - am I off-base here?), so they can't be hopeless.

Is there some other problem with the Yamaha rim/case that I am not aware of that makes it undesirable with respect to rebuilding?

Terry Farrell