concert tuning procedure @ intermission

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:41:20 +0100

Never knock the string harder than with a VERY LIGHTLY TAP in front of the
bridge pins if you don't want to crush wood and damp the tone.

I guess we are lucky there but most of the pianos I tune don't go out of
tune that bad, but we settle them to the point it become difficult to move
the pins.

Isaac OLEG
  I approach this problem in two ways using the False Beat Eliminator only
as a last resort.  When a string just won't settle, I pull it sharp by an
amount that would ordinarily be way too much such as 10-30 cents.  A hard,
sharp blow brings it down instantly.  Sometimes, further hard and sharp
blows bring it once again way flat.  I may try pulling sharp again, maybe a
little more.  When this just does not work, I pull the string a little
sharp, then give a good and quick jab with the False Beat Eliminator.  This
will usually cause the string to go very flat, as much as 50 cents or more
but when it is pulled up again, it will stay put.

  Sometimes, it takes more than one attempt.  The important thing to
consider when using such a tool is damage to both the string and the bridge.
You can break a string or induce false beats into it by distorting the
string with too much force.  The bridge is made of wood, so too much force
can crush the material.