rib replacement

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:24:34 EST

.>
> >    Dale Writes
> >    This is the one point I"m  'REAL hung up on.  I replace boards all
> > the time and I have considered this as an option  for many stwys that
> > have uncracked boards but no crown except that , of the many boards
> > I've removed none came out easily or without major damage.  So unless
> > your boards are falling out of the pianos or there is some secret to do
> > this it then it just not a feasible alternative.
> >
>                        Hi Patrick

you able to describe how much time this took and what effects this had on the
wood at the rim joint. How was the steam directed? Another  difficulty I
thought of after my first post was that removing the acoustic dowells makes
that part of the board weaker as well and removal more problematic as the
board has a better oppurtunity ti disintigrate.

> A few years ago a pair of technicians from Western MA came out to the
> Boston Chapter meeting and gave a presentation on their methodology.

> Their operation was in an old factory which had steam heat. They
> developed a method of directing the building's plentiful steam onto the
> rim & ribs, which allowed them to extract the boards with a minimum of
> fuss. After that, their procedures were similar to Antares' partners.

   actual doing of it? Also  I'm curious as to the rational of such a
procedure from a tonal point of view and also economic. Tonally was it their
opinion that the results were as good or better than installing a new board.
That seems to be the inferance whenever this comes up.
     My thoughts about economic feasibility tells me this sounds like a more
time consumning procedure than a new board. Assumning  this to be  true how
do you sell this whole idea to a client. I don't believe you can imperically
state that the results are going to be better than a really first rate new
board installation.  This idea to my mind would have to be that the job be
promoted/ sold on the notion that the old wood is better louder, sweeter,
touchy feeleier or some such. I'm not being synical(well a little) but these
are the realities of  everday business that can not be ignored.
  Personally I would not want to go through the time consumning learning
curve only to end up saying you know I was right the new board sounds better
afterall. Or feeling that any part of the job was compromised even a little
by perhaps too much damage that was unintentionally done removing the old
board with steam. I mean these are water soluble / old hide glue joints after
all and the edge glued panel butt joints can not help but be affected to some
degree raising more question marks about the integrity of the outcome in my
mind.
    So may be this could be sold as a second rate repair with a disclaimer.
    Never the less I would be willing to try this once to see what gives ,if
I can get the board out in a fairly intact way. But not on a customers piano
the first time.

            Patrick thanks>>>>>>>>>Dale Erwi>