rib replacement

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:46:37 +0100

> From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:10:16 EST
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: rib replacement
>
> Antares
>

> You know I've heard this idea before and I have no doubts that
> I could  accomplish this task but no one yet has gone on record as to the
> actual step by step procedure to get the old soundboard out of the piano
> without sustaianing any damage.

Hi, Dale Erwin,

As Patrick Draine said, use a very fast method to get out the old board.
The various people who did this kind of job for me used different methods.
The goal was to get it out as fast as possible.
A heat gun and a hammer, that's the fastest way.
Steam and a hammer, probably just as fast.
In any case, it is not a real problem to get the old board out quickly.
Sometimes however, some damage is unavoidable.
But don't worry. replacing some wood or splinters isn 't that difficult.

> This is the one point I"m  'REAL hung up on.  I replace boards all the
> time and I have considered this as an option  for many stwys that have
> uncracked boards but no crown except that , of the many boards I've removed
> none came out easily or without major damage.  So unless your boards are
> falling out of the pianos or there is some secret to do this it then it just
> not a feasible alternative.

But it is, maybe depending on the method. Besides, if you are bound to do
this kind of job, you will have to, eventually, find a way. This could be
your 'task'.

> So I'd like you to ask your friends to post a detailed description of
> how they accomplish this one aspect of re-using the old soundboard panel.
> Otherwise to me it's just talk and a nice idea. Know what i mean?

I know what you mean, but just because I have seen this happen for many
years now, I know that it IS possible and I advise you to not give up so
easily.
It is just matter, and we are smart enough to overcome the difficulties of
this.

BUT, as I have stated before, I myself do not do this kind of work.
I do not want to, I 'd rather buy a new piano.
So, it was my task here, to inspire some guys to find ways to do exactly
what we are talking about here.
I have seen the procedure, I know what they are doing, but yet, I am just a
spectator.

So, to get the information right from the source, we have to get down to the
source.

I know that three businesses in Holland are involved in doing this kind of
work.

The guys I worked with in the past (and who started doing this on a
professional scale in Holland) have an e-mail address :
Their (they are brothers) name is : Paul and Theo Kobald in Apeldoorn (the
East of Holland and I do not know their recent e-mail address yet but will
try to find out tomorrow.
The next person I know of is Michiel van Loon, a dedicated craftsman. His
e-mail address is :  mvanloon@pianoman.nl

The third and last person (that I know of) is my business partner Arnold
Duin.
He is very gifted but very busy.
Both Michiel van Loon and Arnold Duin are subscribers to this very same
pianotech list.
Arnold's e-mail address is :aduin@euronet.nl

I am sure there are more people in the World doing this specific work, but I
live in Amsterdam in Holland, and this is what I know about them.

Try and ask.
The e-mail address of the Kobald bros I will try to retrieve tomorrow.

(on the other hand, it is not that difficult, you know)

friendly greetings
from

Antares,

Amsterdam, Holland