orthodontic kawai vs. fireplace

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:41:03 EST

Two weeks ago or so, I wrote to you all regarding a Kawai console with poor
tuning stability (and other problems).  I forwarded your comments to the
owners regarding the fireplace, and they want to take steps to keep the piano
in good condition, and help it stay in tune.

The humidity in the room was 21% last time I was there.  (No fire in the
fireplace.)  Certainly that's low and could be remedied with a Dampp-Chaser,
fireplace or no fireplace.

The fireplace is not the primary source of heat in the house, but is used for
recreation only, and is about 10 feet away from the piano on the opposite
wall.  I'm sure it would feel some radiant heat when logs are burning, but
with a Dampp-Chaser in place, do you feel the piano would be safe?

I guess my question is: What is the primary concern with a piano near a
fireplace---heat, or lack of humidity?  (Near a fireplace, not next to a
fireplace...)

The owners are willing to move the piano to another room only as a last
resort, but they will do so if that is what must be done to keep the piano in
good condition.

What say ye?

Tom Sivak

P.S.

Tomorrow I go back there and re-level the keys.  I'll try ironing the balance
rail felts this time.  The other day I noticed that even the key dip is off
on some of the keys!  Maybe I should iron those felts too.