key buttons

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:20:23 EST

In a message dated 2/12/02 2:54:14 PM Central Standard Time,
chikring@midcoast.com writes:

> Dear list,
> I have been trying to remove some cracked key buttons from a Steinway M
> keys.  I have 12 to replace.  While trying to remove the old button with
> heat I could not seem to soften the old hide glue enough to pull the old
> button off without ruining the key under it.  What is the best way to
> remove old key buttons without damaging the key?
>
> Thanks,
> Arthur

Arthur

It is actually easier to remove key buttons without heating them up. Hold on
the to the key firmly, or put it in a vice, and using a pair of pliers, just
snap it off, in a side ways motion. If anything, some of the button will
remain on the key, which can be filed or sanded off.

Wim