orthodontic kawai vs. fireplace

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:30:31 EST

In a message dated 2/12/02 2:54:44 PM Central Standard Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
writes:

> I guess my question is: What is the primary concern with a piano near a
> fireplace---heat, or lack of humidity?  (Near a fireplace, not next to a
> fireplace...)

The primary concern is lack of humidity, or worse, the constant changes in
humidity. A fire zaps moisture out of the air like crazy. If they let the
fire burn for an hour or so, check the humidity level in the room. It will
probably be lower than 21%. Then it will take several days for the humidity
to get back up to where it was. This change in humidity will cause the piano
go out of tune, more than the changes in temperature.

The heat is probably not much of a problem, because there is enough distance
between the fireplace and the piano for it not to be effected that much. If
the heat from the fireplace is not damaging other pieces of furniture, much
less the people, it is not going to effect the piano.

A Damper Chaser unit will help, but it can only do so much. They work best
when the humidity level is near normal. I would not consider a room with a
fireplace a "normal" situation. They might also want to consider having a big
caldron of water sitting in the same room. Just be sure to explain to the
people that when they use the fireplace, both the caldron and the damp chaser
will probably need to be filled almost daily.

Wim