Laminated Soundboard Ribs

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:42:18 EST

In a message dated 2/12/2002 11:52:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
fordpiano@lycos.com writes:

               Hey Phil

          Excellent reply. Not being an expert on laminated ribs or any thing
else ,I stand corrected But, I do have a couple of possible complications to
the modulus of elasticity formulas and that is that the strength of woods
seem to vary between species and even in the same tree as you pointed out so
knowing how to select materials makes a huge difference when making
generalizations about the modulus of elasticity.  Still agood place to start.
I've held Sitka panels for example that were flacid and flexible and another
much stiffer.This will make a difference in the ribs I choose for each board
.
      I was thinking about your comments about strength uniformity of
laminatd ribs and I believe this must be the major benifit. However I think
it's possible to get some semblance of or closer to  uniform results for rib
strength IF you can cut all your ribs from the same board. This is what I do
with the sugar pine ribs I use.  I select it myself looking for a nice tight
grain12 to 15 grains per inch. Just look at new Stwys the're still using flat
sawn sugar pine that must be 3 grains per inch.How strong can that be? Sugar
pine is extremely variable.
     As to the popularity of spruce ribs I think it is important to reiterate
my comments about how stiff is stiff enough in conjunction with what type of
soundboard material they're being glued to and at what grain angle.  All
these factors add stiffness.  I have used a variety of different types of
woods in different parts of the scale and have come some general tonal
conclusion  on sound and not necessarily the modulus of elasticity. At this
point in time with Sitka panels I like all tight grain sugar pine ribs or
sugar pine in the top and some species of spruce in the bottom. Why because I
like the sustain qualitys. I have a light but stiff rib glued to Sitka which
has a stiffer strength to weight ratio than other species of spruce So I
don't really need extra mass in the panel.  If I was going to use spruce in
the treble I believe wide grain sitka a better choice.
      This may be a different opinion than many of my colleagues.
     Also variables in soundboard construction methods contributes to a
prefrence too. If I'm using a softer species of spruce panels then spruce or
yellow pine seems to give a better result. Soo many variables.
  One last comment about laminated ribs. It isn't just a glued up straight
beam it's a glued up curved beam. I believe in construction terms it would be
a prestressed beam or some such. This seems to me that it would make it
stiffer and more resistent to bending stress which would allow for a more
permanently  crown.
    I wish we could have discussed all this stuff back when I knew
everything!