removing tar from ivory

Roy Ulrich ulrich@rangenet.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:47:50 -0600

Alan,

Your message doesn't make sense - ivory hasn't been legally imported =
into the U.S. for years. So the terms "relatively new" suggest plastic. =
Also, although I suppose it coud be out there, I have never seen "one =
piece" ivory. I'd be leary to offer a suggestion on cleaning with this =
doubt, and hope others are as well. Is there any grain in the keytops or =
are they perfectly smooth?

Roy Ulrich
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 3:53 PM
  Subject: Re: removing tar from ivory

  In a message dated 2/12/02 3:25:50 PM Central Standard Time, =
ReggaePass@AOL.COM writes:=20

    Dear Fellow Techs,=20

    Roof tar has made its way onto the relatively new one-piece ivories =
on a=20
    client's piano.  Does anyone know a safe way to remove the tar which =
won't=20
    alter the ivory?  All suggestions welcomed, especially the "tried =
and true"=20
    ones.=20

    Cheers,=20

    Alan Eder=20

  Alan=20

  When our cat had kittens, some of them got into a bucket of tar. =
(Don't ask how they got in the bucket, and I won't ask how tar got on =
the ivories.) I tried cleaning the kittens with gasoline, thinking that =
would dilute the tar. The gasoline was diluting the tar, but it wasn't =
removing it from the fur. It was just spreading around.=20

  We finally gave up and took the little darlings to the vet. They told =
us to use mayonnaise to remove tar from skin and fur. Try it on the =
ivories. It would certainly smell a hell of a lot better. better than =
gasoline. If the mayonnaise doesn't work, then you'll probably have to =
use gasoline.=20

  Wim=20