orthodontic kawai vs. fireplace

Don Rose pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:32:07 -0600

Hi Wim,

Most energy efficient houses are requred to do seven total air changes per
hour. A regular home does this far more often. The humidity levels will
come back up very quickly--and that is the crux of the problem. Pianos
don't like sudden changes.

http://www.fpl.com/savings/hes/contents/air_change_rates.shtml

At 04:30 PM 02/12/2002 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/12/02 2:54:44 PM Central Standard Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
>writes:
>

>I guess my question is: What is the primary concern with a piano near a
> (Near a fireplace, not next to a
>fireplace...)
>

>The primary concern is lack of humidity, or worse, the constant changes in
>humidity. A fire zaps moisture out of the air like crazy. If they let the
>fire burn for an hour or so, check the humidity level in the room. It will
>probably be lower than 21%. Then it will take several days for the humidity
>to get back up to where it was. This change in humidity will cause the
>piano go out of tune, more than the changes in temperature.
>
>The heat is probably not much of a problem, because there is enough
>distance between the fireplace and the piano for it not to be effected that
>much. If the heat from the fireplace is not damaging other pieces of
>furniture, much less the people, it is not going to effect the piano.
>
>A Damper Chaser unit will help, but it can only do so much. They work best
>when the humidity level is near normal. I would not consider a room with a
>fireplace a "normal" situation. They might also want to consider having a
>big caldron of water sitting in the same room. Just be sure to explain to
>the people that when they use the fireplace, both the caldron and the damp
>chaser will probably need to be filled almost daily.
>
>Wim

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/