Laminated Soundboards (was Orthotropic Soundboard)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:02:30 0000

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:27:57
 Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>There is no rule that requires that a laminated soundboard panel be
>isotropic. The designer of the laminated soundboard panel has even more
>options. It can be whatever the designer wants it to be.

True.  What would be the reason that you would want to have a soundboard
that is anisotropic?  The only one that occurs to me at the moment is that
you built a number of laminated soundboards of different configurations and
empirically determined that an anisotropic soundboard gave the sound that
you liked.  Do you have other reasons in mind?

> I remain convinced
>that ultimately the best sounding pianos will use laminated soundboards that
>may or may not be made out of wood or wood products.
>
>Del

There are getting to be so many materials available these days (and many more
in future) it's hard to imagine that someone wouldn't find the tone produced by
an alternative to wood to be more to his/her liking.  I welcome the day when
not every piano looks the same with the same list of materials and parts as
every other piano.

Phil F

Go Get It!
Send FREE Valentine eCards with Lycos Greetings
http://greetings.lycos.com