Tar on the Ivory

Richard Wagner rjwag@pacifier.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:52:47 -0800 (PST)

Ok, so if you're sure it *is* real ivory, I'd think some sort of
petrolium distilate would be safe to try in very small quantities, as
they don't usually attack organic material too readily. Put some
naptha or lacquer thinner on a cloth and "scratch at the area"
trying to dislodge it rather than smear it around.  You may be able to
loosen the bond and pop the gunk off rather than spreading it around.

If that doesn't work, you could probably shave it off using a single edged
razor blade, and owing to the fact that it is ivory, any scratches incured
could be sanded and buffed out afterward.

I'd stay away from gasoline owing to the fire hazard from the fumes.
Besides, the odor of stale gasoline lingers for a long time.

As to Mayonaise...?  Who knows?  How about some Dijon mustard on a cracker
with cheese, and a glass of wine on the side?

I digress   ;-)

Richard Wagner RPT