Voicing Tool Recommendation

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:34:40 0000

Terry,
I use a hand chuck that I got from a machine tool supply.  I found one like it on
the web.  Here's the url:

http://www.titantoolsupply.com/rout_a_burr.html

Look down the page for the HC-10 Handy Chuck.  I imagine these things are
available from most machine tool supply places.  It's basically a large pin vise.
I always use just one needle to voice.  This tool allows me to put in the needle
or change the amount of needle sticking out from the tool with a twist.  No set
screws.  Also since it's deep enough to accomodate the whole needle I don't
have to cut off needles to get the length I want as I used to do with other tools.
When I'm done, I loosen the chuck slightly, push the needle against a solid
surface so that it slides into the tool flush with the top of the tool and tighten
the chuck again.  Then I can stick it back in the tool box without worrying about
the needle breaking off, it damaging something else, or it damaging me when I
rummage around in the tool box.  It fits my hand nicely, holds the needle firmly
along its whole length (unlike the tools that hold the needle with a set screw) so
that it's less likely to break, and didn't cost all that much (about $20 I think).

Also, I've tried various kinds of needles and the ones I like are the Glover's
Needles - they seem to be sort of triangular in cross section rather than round
and seem to work better for me.  They're made in England (I forget the brand)
and I get them from Pianotec.

Phil F
---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 215
San Francisco, CA  94124

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:06:20
 Farrell wrote:
>I've been limping along for several years with a Schaff voicing tool that goes in the combination handle. I'm looking to step up. What is your favorite voicing tool and why. Thanks.
>
>Terry Farrell

Go Get It!
Send FREE Valentine eCards with Lycos Greetings
http://greetings.lycos.com