hi pressure pressure bar

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:27:55 EST

Tuned a Kimball console yesterday and broke a string.  A trichord unison at
E3/F3 broke at the becket, which surprised me since the piano was not that
flat.  And then I found out why it broke.  The pressure bar is extremely
tight and creates way too much friction.  I judge this on the fact that it
was extremely difficult just to remove the broken string.  I had to use a
pliers.  And the needlenose pliers I tried first didn't do the trick;  I had
to get the big pliers out of the tool case and pull as hard as I could to get
it out of there, and it went millimeter by millimeter by tug by tug.  (My
wrist is still sore today.)  I didn't replace the string because it goes
under the bass strings and I didn't have the tool with me (that tube thing
from APSCO, whatever it's called) to insert the new string in place.  (All in
all, this was my lucky day.)

So I'm going back next week.  I'm worried that I won't be able to get the new
string under the pressure bar.  I've been told NEVER loosen those screws on
the pressure bar, but what if I can't get the string in there?  What will
happen if I loosen that one little screw? And in fact there is one right
there between E3 and F3.  I think that little bugger is the problem here.

I would imagine that loosening the pressure bar a bit would put that register
out of tune. OK, I can retune it.   Any other dangers here?  Will the piano
bench fall apart or the logo decal come off?

Seriously, I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject.  It would be pretty
embarrassing if I can't get a new string in there.

Tom Sivak