hi pressure pressure bar

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 02:03:37 -0500

Tom,
    From what you describe it's likely that you will have to loosen the pressure
bar as you say. Tuning stability will suffer as you predict. Personally, I'd say
if it is really that tight it's probably not adjusted correctly anyway. This
piano must have been really tough to tune. I believe that the purpose for the
pressure bar is to deflect the angle of the string to insure proper termination.
I'm fairly sure it's NOT used to clamp the string in place. I would always
deflect the string a minimal amount so that the deflection angle is not too
great. I feel that this steep angle is one of the problems in obtaining a stable
tuning. My 2 cents.

Greg

--
Greg Newell