information for a dissertation

Gary Bruce Gary.Bruce@oc.edu
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:52:52 -0600

Hello list,

I service the pianos at two universities.  One recently (1998) purchased
several new Steinways.  The piano faculty is hosting a piano composition
competition in the near future and I was shown the score to a submitted
piece.  It called for crashing cymbals onto the strings, hitting the
case in various places with tympani mallets, using the hands to set
strings into motion, etc.,etc.  Some of the dymamic markings were
"ffff".

I was asked my opinion about allowing this to be performed on our
recital hall piano.  I understood the sound that would be generated by
such a performance and try to appreciate the time that was spent by the
composer, but I said the composition should be submitted on audio
cassette, or better yet, video tape.  I think that composers who want to
use the piano in a way which is "un-natural" for the instrument should
not expect venues to automatically allow the instrument to be used in
this way.  Perhaps they should plan on doing what many fine concert
pianists do - bring their own instrument with them.

Gary Bruce
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Christian University
Southern Nazarene University