Tuning forks in the medical profession?

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:11:59 -0800

Being a university tech I sometimes wonder down to the union for lunch.
 Today I took a detour and browsed the book store for a moment.  Having
a large medical program the book store stocks an inventory of supplies
for med students labs and classes.  In the display were stethoscopes,
forceps, kits for student nurses, sphygmomanometers, and so on.  Along
with this were tuning forks!  Huge ones, (very low frequency), with
sliding adjustable weights on the tines to adjust the pitch. There were
two different sizes and the label proudly announced them as "highly
accurate for the medical profession".

I would find it hard to believe that these are used for testing hearing
since the objective of a university it to teach techniques using current
and modern equipment.  So what would one use a tuning fork for if one
were studying modern medicine?  Perhaps to scan a patient's credit for
paying the bill?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV