Orthotropic Soundboard (was Laminated Soundboard Ribs)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 02:43:03 0000

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:42:13
 Ron Nossaman wrote:

>Many a good idea has been abandoned because it was unrecognized as a good
>idea, or was different from the accepted expert opinion, while other much
>less ideal approaches became entrenched gospel in spite of the long and
>venerable history of problems associated with their continued acceptance as
>a standard.

True.  But it would be helpful to those that come
after to talk about those ideas and what was done
about them.  For example, I've talked before about
bridge agraffes (or other string terminations on the
bridge).  I think this is an interesting idea.  There
are many patents for various versions and some versions
were actually built and put into service.  Why was
the idea abandoned?  I just have to conjecture.
Maybe there was a good technical reason or maybe it
was purely business or economics.  But if there was
a technical reason, and if someone who did this and
observed it in service for 20 years had written about
it in any meaningful way then I wouldn't need to
repeat all that work.

>How do we know by comparing sparse old notes of the very few
>who wrote it down what is gold and what is straw?

How do we know that bleeding and leeches are not good
medical practice?  Because someone, or several people,
did a lot of work to prove it and wrote it down.  And
wrote it down with supporting data so that someone
later could look at what was written and become
convinced without having to repeat everything that
they did.

>At a certain point, we're
>going to have to quit relying on comparisons of our interpretations of what
>a couple of experts past wrote a hundred years ago on what they thought
>they knew, and find out for ourselves what they did know, didn't know, and
>were utterly mistaken about. At the same time, we can hopefully learn how
>much we ourselves know, don't know, and are utterly mistaken about.
>
>Ron N

Should I reinvent calculus rather than read what Newton
wrote several hundred years ago?  Should I carve up a
few dozen cadavers to learn about anatomy rather than
reading Gray?  I hope our profession can do better than
expecting every generation to reinvent the wheel. But
presently, in the case of our profession, I'm afraid
that you are right. Those who came before us didn't
do a very good job of documenting what they knew,
either because they weren't good at that,
didn't think it was important, or hoped to profit by
keeping things secret.  I hope we don't make the same
mistake.

Phil F

Check out Cupid School where you will learn from Matchmaker's
best and brightest. Good Luck!

http://ecard.matchmaker.com/cupid0202/cupid0202.html