Pic of HT; test

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:21:44 -0800

I'm not sure how I would use this data; but I feel it is useful in this
forum, where historical temperaments are discussed so frequently. The virtue
of seeing major third AND fifth together means that you can assess what keys
will sound best and worst (you have a good view of all the major triads).

I think the data is so interesting that I will probably wind up compiling it
and posting it to a website. My background for this? I am a corporate
consultant who has become an Excel whiz (used Excel ever since it was
Multiplan in 1984).

Glad you find it interesting. The charts do not currently display the core
data (how many cents each note is offset from ET) - I will try to find a way
to automate including that as well.

Attached are three more, even smaller gif's. They are 12k each on my Mac and
should post okay:

    ET.gif, showing that all major thirds are expanded by 13.7 cents and all
fifths are contracted by 2 cents.

    EBVT.gif, using TuneLab Pro's figures for the core data. The calculation
shows that five of the 5ths are either pure or *slightly* expanded, whereas
the GD fifth is contracted by 6.2 cents.

and

    Handel.gif, based on George Friedrich Handel Well Temperament, chosen at
random from Tunelab data.

|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799
|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||

> From: Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net>
> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:27:24 -0500
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Pic of HT; test
>
> Jason,
> This is fascinating. What will you use this graph for? Is this done to help
> show a customer how wild one temp. might be from another? Will you then chart
> comparison of all the temperaments together somehow? What is your background
> that taught you how to create this?
>
> Greg
>
> Jason Kanter wrote:
>
>> List, I've been experimenting with the graphic view of Historic
>> Temperaments. I'm dissatisfied with the view on Ron Koval's site because it
>> only shows major thirds, not fifths. Personally, I want to see both the
>> major third and fifth deviations from perfect (3:2) or just (5:4), so I can
>> see what the tradeoffs are in a given temperament. I've figured out the math
>> in Excel and created a system for generating a graphic, and tried to get the
>> graphic small enough to fit in a message here. So, without further
>> introduction, attached is a picture of the Werkmeister III temperament.
>>
>> My source for the data is the set of temperament files that are supplied
>> with TuneLab.
>>
>> Please let me know if you wouold find such charts useful, and which others
>> you would like me to post. I have done ET, Bremmer's EBVT, Coleman's 4, 11
>> and 16, but since the GIF file of each one is about 19k, I can only post one
>> at a time.
>>
>> Also, if the GIF format cannot be read, please let me know. The smallest JPG
>> I have so far been able to create of this picture is 52k, too large for this
>> list.
>>
>> || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
>> jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
>> bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
>> orcas island * 360 376 2799
>> || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||

>> Name: WerkmeisterIII.gif
>> WerkmeisterIII.gif    Type: GIF Image (image/gif)
>> Encoding: base64
>
> --
> Greg Newell
> mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net