upright pinblock separation

Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:32:07 -0800

Ran into an alarming problem today.  Went to tune a 90 year old upright. =
 When I opened the lid I discovered it was loose.  So I removed it and =
saw that the pin block had pulled away from the horizontal back beam by =
about 3/4", pulled the large wood screws right out..  My first thought =
was to run like hell before I got sandwiched by an imploding piano.  But =
cooler heads prevailed and I stood well to the side as I discussed the =
dilemma with the customer.  It turns out he and his buddies just hoisted =
through the bedroom window in some fashion that I didn't quite =
understand.  I don't know how long the problem has been there, but the =
piano was quite flat.  My questions are:

Does this pose an imminent exploding problem?

Can it be fixed by letting down the tension, squeezing the whole mess =
together with epoxy and pulling it back up?

Why hasn't the plate cracked?  It remains fixed lower down.

Should the customer just push it back out the window?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

David Love