upright pinblock separation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:32:57 -0500

I did a similar repair a while back on a 1960s Baldwin Hamilton studio. The separation was a good 1/2". Repair worked great. I have tuning piano since repair and all is well. Here is what I did:

- let tension down a couple steps (a must with a big separation)
- cleaned out debris from separation (vacuum, probe, etc.)
- put about 8 pipe clamps on the rascal and drew it together ssssllllloooooowwwwwly
- drilled several 3/8" (I think) holes through plate and through back posts
        (put bolts through every back post)
- let pipe clamps slacken
- gooped in thickened West System epoxy
- cranked back down on pipe clamps
- inserted bolts
- tightened bolts and clamps and bolts and clamps, etc. (I cranked HARD on those clamps.....left maybe
     a 1/8" or less separation - that's why you want to use the proper epoxy on a large separation)
- cleaned off squeeze out
- let cure for day or two
- remove clamps
- pitch adjust (pulling the plate back just about brought it back up to pitch!)
- tune
- play
- collect money

I did the repair on two visits in a total of six hours. Go for it, it's fun. It gets the adrenaline going! And yes, it is amazing how flexable a plate really is. I would suggest that you warn the customer that there is a risk of the plate breaking. Have fun!

Terry Farrell