impact hammer technique tips?

Patrick C Poulson pcpoulso@pacbell.net
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:41:04 -0800

Tom: I think you'll find the impact hammer very useful once you get used to
it. First of all, though, how to hold it: usually its best to hold it right
down at the head of the hammer.  This lets the weight at the opposite end do
the work for you.  You just use a flick of the wrist to move the hammer left
or right. Occasionally I will move up the handle a little if the pin is
really tight, or if there is no room when working close to the lid.  Use a
relaxed hold on the hammer.  I keep the hammer in the 12 o'clock to 2
o'clock position.  I also have learned to use my left hand in the bottom
half of the piano, which takes the constant strain of my right arm and
shoulder. Keep at it, and you'll never want to go back to the regular hammer
on uprights. Patrick Poulson, RPT and 15 year impact hammer user.