My comments/John Cage prepared piano

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:08:40 -0800

I knew I would catch some flack for my comments. It is my opinion and I
chose to stand by it, for the most part. Granted, there are uses of things,
other than "musical instruments", that are used in creating a mood, in
music. I personally do not have a problem with this. In fact, I have done it
many times with various musical endeavors. However, if this type of
"preparation" is harmful to the instrument, I will not do it. If the
"Musician" wishes to do this, within certain boundaries, as was suggested,
then, again, I have no problem with it. The owner of the instrument should
also be fully aware of the risks and be prepared for the consequences. IF,
all these parameters are met, then I say, Have At It. Just don't make me sit
in the audience and listen to this. I have heard John Cage renditions, and
truly dislike the sound. I have a tremendous love affair with pianos, even
tho I do not play the piano. (I learned essentially enough, in college, to
be dangerous.)
So, if my comments offended anyone, please accept my apologies and sympathy.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)