shimmed tuning pins

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 08:48:49 -0500

Tom,

I suspect that you used a too big piece of sandpaper, the pin you drove-in
just cut the paper and bunched it down in the hole. I prefer to use emery
cloth as tuning pin shims. It doesn't break so easy. Try removing the pins
and use emery cloth(the cloth only has to cover about 1/8 of the hole's
circumference).

Good luck

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Tvak@AOL.COM
Anyway, I unscrewed the loose pins and inserted a sandpaper shim, 80 grit,
face outward, drove the pins back in about half way or so, and this worked
great on all but two of the pins.  On these two, the pins do not seem to
thread themselves any deeper into the hole.  I turned and turned and they
just twirl in place.  I hammered them in farther and they do hold the string
tension (so far, anyway) but they are higher than their neighbors and look
strange.

What's the deal with these two?  There are a couple more to do, and I'm
paranoid that they won't thread their way back in either.

Any thoughts or advice?

Tom Sivak

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.