shimmed tuning pins

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:55:03 EST

In a message dated 2/17/02 9:17:06 AM, Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

<< Did you shore up the bottom of the pin block before applying the CA glue?
Are you shoring up the pin block when you drive the pins. >>

Didn't shore up bottom before applying glue, but I did remove the action and
place newspaper underneath.  I read on the list recently that someone uses an
entire bottle of thin viscosity CA glue on a pin block.  Well, no more than a
couple of drops could be use on each pin, due to the fact that it would
create a puddle around the pin, and not descend down into the hole.  So,
needless to say, none dripped down through the block to the newspaper below.
When I removed the pins, there was a little dam, or wall, of CA glue
protruding above the plate.  It seemed like very little went down into the
block.  So I wonder if the previous glue treatments really could form a block
which is holding the pins up.

I used a car jack with a 2x4 on top of it to shore up the pinblock when I
hammered the pins in.  (I ordered a pinblock jack from APSCO but they messed
up entire order, and it didn't get sent.  See next post.)

Tom Sivak