Was shim pins/now crack options

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:20:28 -0500 (EST)

So if a few pin holes have cracks,
over sizing will aggravate the problem.

Is swabbing the hole with epoxy before driving pins
considered acceptable for a client that does not want
to spend for a new block. Have people had tight
pins for a long time after doing this, or is it
to be condemned, and plugs are definitely the way to
go.

My thinking is if the hole is swabbed, and the pin
driven in, this will force the epoxy into the crack,
then move the pin before the exopy fully sets.

This is an upright, I'd much rather replace the block,
In fact I'm doing my first upright pinblock this
weekend, its not very hard. But in this case I don't
believe there is any more money. But, I have been
asked to restring the beast. The strings are out,
and there are a 10 or 12 tuning pin holes with visible
cracks.

  Perhaps I should remove the plate and glass the hole
block..... What are peoples attitudes here.
  Would some go on a heavy sell for a new block,
and perhaps bite the bullet and give it for a really
good price since the job is begun, and the strings are
off.

                    Cheers
                    Dave Renaud
                    RPT