shimmed tuning pins

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:01:00 EST

Tom:
I suspect the sandpaper has waded up or the CA glue is causing you problems.
Just remove the pin, carefully removing the coil so you can reuse the
original string. Make sure hole is clean....use 4/0 tuning pin drive in until
you can replace coil...pull up to pitch...then drive in until just a hair
above level...pull up again to pitch and check to see if level with other
pins. This ain't no hill for a climber. Yes, I believe the 4/0 pins will hold
as long as the others are holding and maybe longer. If they don't, replace
the pin block. You can use steel wool instead of sandpaper if you wish.
Remember, never work on another piano in a garage....excessive moisture and
excessive dryness can cause major problems some of which you may be facing
now. I hope I am right and this helps.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.