Rim Bevel

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:40:02 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 17, 2002 7:15 PM
Subject: Rim Bevel

> For all you soundboard builders that use tighter arcs than a 60-foot
radius: I think the 60-foot radius arc is common on most old pianos (at
least the crown was about that when the board was new), and I suppose many
newer ones.

To the best of my recollection I've never measure anything remotely close to
a 60' radius in a real piano. But it sounds nice.

> My understanding is that the bevel of the inner rim is very important to
the soundboard maintaining its crown.

I've heard that as well. Now, was that before or after loading with string
bearing?

Go try a little experiment--clamp a piece of spruce (about 8 to 9 mm thick)
to the edge of a solid workbench and try to bend it up and down. Try this
with various grain orientations. Now come back and tell me how much
long-term affect that bevel on the inner rim will have in maintaining crown.
Get some sleep, Terry.

> So, the question is do you put a steeper angle on the rim bevel, do you
angle off the outer 3/4 inches (however wide the inner rim is) of the board
to match the existing rim bevel, or do you just clamp the darn thing
together and all seems to work just fine.

Good night, Terry.

Del