Accordion Tuning

james turner JTTUNER@webtv.net
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 02:09:35 -0500 (EST)

I have never tuned a accordion, but I have and still do tune antique
reed (pump) organs.  Reed organs have brass reeds and accordions have
steel reeds.  As Carl says, it is quite a job to tune reeds!  I dislike
doing it because it is very time consuming and it is very easy to ruin a
reed if you are not extremely careful.  Unless someone wants to get into
this full time, it is best to leave it alone and hire it out to someone
who has the experience. I never tune reeds by ear alone anymore.  I use
my SAT or RCT to do the job and always check by ear of course.  But
there is no inharmonicity in reeds like piano strings   Question for
Bill Bemmer:  I wonder how a HT would sound on a accordion or reed
organ?
This might be a fun experiment to try.
Jim Turner