Typewriter

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 01:41:29 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 6:16 AM
  Subject: Typewriter

  Friends,=20
  Do all of you have a typewriter?  Do we all need one?  I've had one =
all my adult life, and I use it a lot in my business, but I am sort of =
old-fashioned and not very "with it."  My wife says I should change.=20

  My beloved 20-year-old Smith Corona portable finally reached the point =
of no return about a year ago.  I replaced it with a cheap portable, =
which turned out to be so rotten I'd be embarrassed to give it away.  I =
am now using a quality machine that I got cheap, but it's eight years =
old and every now and then the electronics in it go into conniptions and =
drive me totally bats.  (You suspected as much -- I know, I know!  <G>)  =
Of course it behaves admirably when I take it to the repair shop!=20

  So I'm thinking of buying a new one, which will probably run $500 and =
which brings me back to my original question.  Does even my little =
office need a typewriter to be adequately appointed?  I say yes; have =
you found the answer to be no?=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde Hollinger=20

       A week or two after the fact on this, but yes, I have a =
typewriter and love it.  It's a Royal Safari that I got when I went off =
to college in 1967 and it still looks contemporary and works great!    =
It's much faster for typing up reminder cards and invoices -- doesn't =
have to boot up; works when the electricity's off;  no waiting for =
program to load into memory; no figuring out the ins and outs and weird =
quirks of word processing programs; the "printer" is built in; it's not =
fussy about what kind of paper you use; and yes, I can still get ribbons =
much much cheaper than ink cartridges for computer printers;  I don't =
have to re-configure the printer to type the address on the envelope or =
post card.=20

      I do my reminder cards exactly like you -- they're pre-printed:  =
"Dear Ms. ______,   I last tuned your piano _______.   Your piano will =
maintain pitch better if...blah blah.   Please call . . .  to set up an =
appointment ....", etc.    I fill in the blanks with pen, then turn it =
over and type the address.  I buy sheets of 21=A2 stamps.  May be =
old-fashioned, but it suits me and by the time I figured out how to get =
the computer to do it,  I could probably have a hundred or more done.    =
  Same with letters and invoices -- whip the paper in there and start =
typing -- I'm done before I could even get things booted up, loaded, and =
formatted on the computer.  And it's already printed when I finish the =
letter, including a carbon copy.  Yes, you can still buy carbon paper.   =
Some old stuff still works fine.  Having a small yard, I'm thinking of =
doing away with the polluting, noisy power mower and getting the old =
motorless push kind.      --David Nereson, RPT, Denver

       =20