Ed Foote/Pythagorean Meantone question.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:42:45 -0800

Ed,
I disagree with you on the temperament not going anywhere. A "Temperament"
usually "GOES" from C to C, or F to F or in my case, from A to A. I do
understand the numbers of variation from ET. What I was asking was: When,
normally, setting an HT, we use C as the pitch note, then tune the lower C
in a clean octave, then we proceed to tune the rest of the "Temperament" in
the span of F3 to F4. Are you with me here? So, If we use A440 as the
criteria for pitch, then it would follow that we would tune A220, then
proceed to tune the "Temperament" within that scope. If that is correct,
(and I'm asking if it is), then the example given was tuning A440 and then
went "UP" to A880. There lies my question. ???? Is it valid to set a
"Temperament" in that area of the piano? And why, etc., etc., etc.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)