voiceing

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:21:17 EST

In a message dated 2/16/2002 2:12:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tito@PhilBondi.com writes:

> Subj: Re: voicing
> Date: 2/16/2002 2:12:53 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:    tito@PhilBondi.com (Phil Bond)
> Sender:    owner-pianotech@ptg.org
> reply to: <A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> To:    pianotech@ptg.org
>
> . Phil wrote
> If someone reading this can tell me what their 'magic' method is for
> getting a piano from sounding like a bucket of broken glass to something
> resembling a piano, I'm listening. There's a few 'buckets' out here that
> could be better if they were 'properly maintained.'

ways.
  First explain about the possibility of broken strings. If they've already
broken one and had it replaced and Haitian the ever out of tune sound
consider your foot in the door. If not tell them the piano has much more
musical potential than it's currently demonstrating. Offer to voice one or
two notes and if they don't like it you'll restore it to the previous
condition. It's also important to tell them the piano was never intended to
sound like that and that it's in a mechanical state beyond its design
parameters.

   Also the piano will not stay tuned long with the hammers crashing about on
the strings. That's why the piano is never in tune.
    Frankly I've also persuaded many to replace the petrified felt hammers
with legitimate hammers and then voiced it to speak. It is possible to have
good hammers voiced to put out a lot of pretty sound and crisp ones without
the shattering glass effect.  If after a time several tunings and attempts
have clients unwilling to change the tone from the breaking glass syndrome I
politely tell them that pianos this loud will damage my hearing and theirs
and that perhaps they should contact someone else. There is only so much I'm
going to put up with and maintaining mediocrity is not one of them.
  In My experience the number ONE COMPLAINT of new piano owners is that the
piano is too loud or bright. There the ones usually opening the door to this
not me.  Most piano makers hammers are designed to get the piano onto the
delivery truck and out the door but not to a stable well voiced musical
sounding piano.
       Does this help?