S&S Style 2?

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:42:57 EST

Phil,

<<
 I had a customer call me last night that was describing their piano to
 me..he said there was no model that he knew of..it was a "Style 2
 S&S"..approx. 9'.>>

The advertising publications earlier than the A, B, C and D series (the
modern, continuous rim pianos whose designs began in 1878) generally
described four models also, Styles 1-4.  Related lengths were not consistent
except that Style 1 was smaller, Style 4 larger (close to 9').   These might
be found at the website for Steinway at La Guardia Community College (not at
hand right now).

 <>

Unfortunately these pianos do break plates more often close to the pinblock.
If you measure your treble scale you may determine the optimal pitch is up in
the A=460's.  Not a great combination.  You can, of course, rescale for a
lower pitch if installing a new soundboard.

I am currently in the final steps on my Style 2 (7'3").   Ed Foote observed
that the pinblocks don't keep their position;  this is dramatic on a Style 4
I service which someone installed a new pinblock and soundboard in 15 years
ago and now has zero downbearing.  One tech on the east coast has retrofitted
a steel flange into the pinblock closer to the stretcher to attempt ot
stabilize this, but I do not know if this was deemed a success.

Bill Shull, RPT

 Phil