Re-scaling a small grand

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:07:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jason,

It really doesn't matter.  When the new scale is
made for those bass strings, they will very
likely have different winding lengths than the
original strings, as well as different core and
wrap sizes.  The important thing is to establish
an accurate speaking length.  Part of rescaling
is establishing the length of the unwound
speaking length / length of winding.

The only reason that I will sometimes record the
data on the old strings is for purposes of
comparison, new to old.  And... if the bridges
are going back into new locations... well, that's
another can of worms.

Best wishes,

Brian T.

--- Jason Kanter <jkanter@rollingball.com> wrote:

> Doesn't it make a difference if the bass
> strings are up to pitch or not when you make
> the rubbing? The length of the winding is
> greater when the string is properly taut. If
> it's relatively slack, the rubbing will
> indicate a shorter length of copper. Which is
> the better pattern for new bass strings?

=====
Brian Trout
Grand Restorations
3090 Gause Blvd., #202