Was shim pins/now crack options

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:15:39 -0400

Wim,
If the block is cracked, I would put the 3/8", that is .3750", plug in =
with epoxy. This does go into the crack.
There is still a reasonable amount of wood left. I like the feel of it =
better than the straight epoxy.
It all boils down to how much time the piano is worth.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 10:18 AM
  Subject: Re: Was shim pins/now crack options

  In a message dated 2/19/02 1:37:05 AM !!!First Boot!!!, =
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca writes:=20

    You don't have to drill out the plate.=20
    You just use the smaller plug, and then put in a new bushing, and a =
00/2 pin.=20
    Regards,=20
    John M. Ross=20

  John=20

  Is the small plug big enough to hold a tuning pin? Or is the wood =
around the pin more or less a "shim." My method actually puts epoxy in =
the cracks, which hopefully stops the crack from getting worse. If you =
plug the hole, you have not eliminated, or fixed, the crack.=20

  Wim=20