voiceing

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:10:33 EST

In a message dated 2/19/2002 7:15:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kpiano@goldrush.com writes:

> Subj:Re: voiceing
> Date:2/19/2002 7:15:28 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:kpiano@goldrush.com">kpiano@goldrush.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
> >  Keith Roberts wrote
> Eric Schandall blamed Dale and Bob Davis for the terms Boom, Clang, and
> Sizzle. It's so very simple, even the customer understands immediately and
> nods her head. Worked for me today.
> To quote Eric; "...and I thank Dale Erwin and Bob Davis for their wonderful
> class on voicing" that introduced him to those terms.

>>>...Awwww Shucks Keith I hate it when people told me I said something and I
can't remember it.  Eric is too kind. A humble man. Really I think voicing on
the commpter is probably as accurate as voicing on the phone but I know the
U-3 pretty well.

. Ok Dale, Bob, expound
> some on these terms and explain more about Woof. The Yamaha U3
> I tuned today had a hollowness in the Woof from F#3 to D4. The hammers
> looked uniform so I'm thinking it's in the bridge. Lacking in Clang, no
> presence?

and the fact the piano is not broken in leads to some tonal anemia in the
area you describe. All three components of the tone are weak and if the
hammers had a little string marking on them I think you'd find the sound a
lot more developed.
   When string marks have developed on the face of the hammer the tone is
more solid and the clang boom and sizzle will be more present. Usually the
boom/woof will be the weakest with that type of hammer and you have to do
something to let the"big Dog out of the shed" as you say. Your string
tensions are often lower in this range on an upright and the flexibility of
the hammer needs to be increased so the too stiff hammer doesn/t distort the
sound. Voicing thru the cut  side of the hammer will give it more spring and
drive the fundamental frequency which is your boom/woof.
   I would file these hammers with fine sandpaper first (220) to take off the
fuzz  and clean up the face. Next put your finger on the string then pound on
the key about 100 times to play in the note and then listen to the
difference.
     Hey Keith its not your fault the big dog is lock in the shed. She needs
to play the piano and let the poor guy out!