getting punch(y)ings

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:43:09 EST

In a message dated 2/21/02 8:09:29 AM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Wim. I have never (I'm ashamed to admit) used this technique. But, yes it
> would take a few minutes to cut the punchings, but it will also save you
> from removing the stack. Further, it will provide the consistency of the
> actual action providing the weight on the back of the key - potentially
> resulting in a more accurate key leveling. Am I right with these
> statements? Do you have some technique to put an uncut punching on a grand
> center rail pin without removing the stack?
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry

Leveling keys with the stack on is a good way of doing it. I am not sure it
is a more accurate way or not. I use weights hung on the back checks to level
keys. Although I do this on the bench, I have done it in the piano.

I don't see how you can put a punching on a center pin without removing the
key, unless you cut a V in the punching. As I said, I have done this in an
emergency. But when I have tried doing it for a complete leveling job, I
found that I bent, broke, pushed out and disturbed the other punchings too
much, causing more work in the long run.

Leveling keys is not an easy, quick job. The more time you take doing this
part right, the easier it will be to get the action regulated

Wim